The Edit: The Importance of Compassion
How compassion can traverse the globe, imposter syndrome and more in this week’s #TheEdit.
- A grieving Turkish diaspora rallies together. In Melbourne, dozens of volunteers packed three shipping containers with cardboard boxes full of new tents, blankets and sleeping bags – The New York Times
- How ChatGPT could change white-collar work. No technology in modern memory has yet caused mass job loss among highly educated workers – The Atlantic
- What is the panspermia theory? The idea that life on Earth originated elsewhere is not as far out as it seems – Aeon
- Why everyone feels like they’re faking it. The concept of Impostor Syndrome has become ubiquitous. Critics, and even the idea’s originators, question its value – New Yorker
- How coworking spaces impact employee well-being. Knowledge workers rated coworking space as more interpersonally satisfying than working from the office or from home – Harvard Business Review
- How our interconnected world is changing. New research breaks down changes in the global flows that bind us together, and what those changes mean for our collective future – McKinsey
- Overcoming ‘decision paralysis’, according to one CEO. At digital consultancy Jellyfish, the most knowledgeable person, rather than the most senior, is accountable for the outcomes – Raconteur
- The era of the megalopolis: how the world’s cities are merging. Quite how to gauge the size of a city, or where one ends and the next begins, is getting harder to determine. The 21st century belongs to the limitless city – The Beautiful Truth
“With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.”Eleanor Roosevelt
Resources to support people affected by the earthquake in Turkey and Syria.
- The Disasters Emergence Committee brings together 15 leading UK aid charities to raise funds quickly and efficiently at times of crisis overseas.
- AKUT is a Turkish non-governmental organisation whose mission lies in search, assistance and rescue operations.
- The White Helmets are playing a critical and life-saving role in Syria in the most desperate circumstances following the earthquakes.